Author Topic: Hello  (Read 11126 times)

Megan Greathouse

Hello
« on: May 25, 2006, 05:23:33 PM »
I was doing a search on the internet for my father (William Gary Greathouse) and to my suprise found an obituary of my grandfather (William Khendale Greathouse -- see below) on your site and decided to stop by for a peek.

I just want to mention that I really like all the information on your board and plan to add our family history when I can.

Megan

William Khendale Greathouse
(submitted by William Gary Greathouse)

William K. Greathouse, 73, of Gettysburg, PA died Sunday, 13 September 1998, at home in his sleep.

Born in Sutton, WV, he was the only child of Asa Carl Greathouse and Myrtle Jeanette Greathouse (nee Diggins).  He is survived by four children, William Gary Greathouse of Reston, VA; Susan Jane Davis of Fort Collins, CO; Kathy Jean Greathouse of Jackson Heights, NY; and Christina Lee Greathouse of Fairfax, VA.  In addition to his four children, seven grandchildren, and one great-grandson survive him.

During World War II, he served in the US Navy aboard LST 307, and saw action during amphibious assaults in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, and Normandy (Omaha and Sword Beaches) during the D-Day invasion.  After the War, he attended West Virginia Institute of Technology and the University of Kentucky, where he earned a Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering.  At NACA (which later became NASA), he established his name in the aerospace industry by publishing 12 research reports that are still used throughout the world today to design jet engine exhaust systems.  In 1956,  he went to work for Grumman Aerospace, and rose to the position of Chief Propulsion Engineer.  At Grumman, he helped design aircraft and spacecraft including the LEM (Lunar Excursion Module) and the F-14 Tomcat.  In 1979, he was awarded a patent for a thrust reverse nozzle for turbofan jet engines, and was named the Grumman Engineer of the Year.  He retired from Grumman in 1989, and remained extremely active with his family, model airplanes, traveling, hunting, genealogy, and surfing the Internet.

Funeral services will be held at 10:00am on Saturday, 19 September 1998 in the Robertson-Greene Funeral Home in Sutton, WV.  He will be interred in Sutton Cemetery next to Jessie Lee Greathouse (nee Greene), his wife of 51 years who predeceased him by just over two years. Friends may call from 6:00pm to 9:00pm, Friday, 18 September 1998 at the Robertson-Greene Funeral Home.

Monahan Funeral Home in Gettysburg is in charge of local arrangements.

A Tribute to William Khendale Greathouse
(submitted by: Patricia Dodd Greathouse)
“HERE WAS A GREATHOUSE WHOSE HEART WAS GOOD; WHO WALKED WITH RESEARCHERS AND UNDERSTOOD; HIS WAS A VOICE THAT SPOKE TO CHEER; AND FELL LIKE MUSIC ON THE EAR; HISWAS A SMILE MEN LOVED TO SEE; HIS WAS A HAND THAT ASKED NO FEE FOR FREINDLINESSOR KINDNESS DONE.

AND NOW THAT HE HAS JOURNEYED ON, HIS GREATHOUSE FAME NEVER ENDS, HE LEAVES BEHIND UNCOUNTED GENEALOGICAL FRIENDS.”