Author Topic: Sarah Emma Greathouse  (Read 5848 times)

Terry Hoage

Sarah Emma Greathouse
« on: July 19, 2005, 08:56:16 AM »
I recently posted on the forum, but will repost here. Sarah Emma Greathouse is my grandmother and was born in Illinois according to her marriage certificate. She married my grandfather, Francis (Frank) Horace Hoag(e) in December 1881 in Beardstown, Il Schyler county. I find them in Rock Island county IL during the 1900, 1910 US census. Sarah's father according to her marriage certificate was Janus or Ianus Greathouse. The writing is not too legible, so it could have been James. According to family heresay, he was full or half-blood Cherokee, but there is no proof of that. Sarah's picture shows her with long black hair, dark eyes and high cheek bones and dark skin. Her mother's name, according to the marriage certificate, was Mary I. McConneheigh(the spelling given). I can not find any references to either the Greathouse family or the McConneheigh family in the 1850, 1860, 1870, or 1880 census for Illinois. Does anyone know of an indian lineage for a Greathouse family or have records connecting the above families? Thank you for providing this site and all of the fantastic information.