Author Topic: Grothausen, Germany  (Read 7051 times)

Gloria Etes

Grothausen, Germany
« on: December 28, 2004, 04:04:52 PM »
In doing research about my husband's great grandfather, Fred Etes, his birphplace in 1846 was listed as Grothausen, Germany.  We cannot find a location in Germany with this name.  Evidently it does not exist any longer.  Have you any ideas that might help us.  Thanks!

Gloria Etes
getes@centegra.com

Linda Jane Birgel

Grosshausen, Germany
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 09:05:13 AM »
Yes, Gloria, there is Grosshausen, Germany.  I am going there the first week in May.  There is also an einshausen, Germany, which means the samw and I am going there, too.  Grosshausen is north of Munich.  If you have a good German map - I got mine at Barnes & Noble - you can find Grosshausen.  You can also find it on the net if you got to the section on Germany and use Michelin Map search.  It is a very small village - I mean small - and there could not be many people there.  If you are looking at a map, there is a main road to the left out of Munich going to Augsburg and a main road going north out of Munich going to Nurnberg.  Just before the road get to Augsburg, there is a connecting road - looks like a main road but not 4 lane - connecting the road to Nurnberg and Augsburg - makes a triangle.  about half way - between Aichach and Schrobenhausen (these are shown on a little side road running along side the main road on the left, is the Village of Grosshausen.  To see thism you have to be on the Michelin map and use the zoom to get closer if you know what I mean.  If you will send me your e-mail address, i will scan the map in and send it to you as an attachment.  My husband, Don Birgel, and I are also going to visit the Village of Birgel, which is the same type of situation.  It is located between Frankfurt and Aachen.  His greatgrandfather is from Germany - not that far back.  His father who was in WWII was captured not far from the Village of Birgel - strange coincidence! - and was in the Battle of the Bulge.  Ollie North had a special this last Sunday about this activity on his "war stories."  When his greatgrandfather came here he sometimes said he was from France and sometimes from Germany because that land changed hands many times.  But, When I get back from Germany, I will send you what information I do get and I will post it on Greathouse Point.  Rick and I are related - about 5 times back - so we are all interested in what I find.  Here's hoping it is a lot!  Although I was born in West Virginia, I now live in Michigan - but you know the old saying "You can take the girl out of West Virginia, but not out of her heart." - That's my way of saying it!  My Grandfather on my mother's side was a Greathouse and he lived in Cowen, WV and was a logger in what they call the "Cranberry."  He is also listed in the Railroad Hall of Fame in Cowen, WV.  Hope all this info helps

Linda (Greathouse, Skidmore, Hammonds, Irvin) Birgel
don@donbirgel.com
(989) 426-6836